- December 5th, 2023 - Congratulations to Ian Bales for passing the PhD qualification exam!
- December 1st, 2023 - Prof. Zhang hosted Dr. Steve Collins from Stanford University for the ME Distinguished Seminar. Dr. Collins also toured the lab where we showcased our latest research progress on head-neck robotic systems.
- November 11th, 2023 - UWR Lab gave lab tours for prospective students from local high schools on Engineering Day.
- October 13th, 2023 - UWR Lab received a seed grant ($50K) from the ALS Association. This award will help continue the development and clinical translation of a neck exoskeleton to assist with head-neck movements in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. This research is in collaboration with the Motor Neuron Disease clinic (directed by Dr. Mark Bromberg) and the Utah NeuroRobotics Lab directed by Dr. Jake George.
- August 21st, 2023 - UWR Lab welcome multiple new graduate students, Kimia Khoshnami, Adam Reinsch, and Logan Lancaster (BS/MS).
- August 21st, 2023 - Congratulations to Colin for his successful presentation of his paper at the IDETC conference in Boston.
- August 4th, 2023 - Dr. Zhang was placed among the top 15% instructors in the John and Marcia Price College of Engineering based on student evaluations for course ME 3220, Dynamic Systems and Control, for Fall 2022.
- August 3rd, 2023 - Congratulations to Kin and Zach who presented their respective summer research projects at the undergraduate research symposium.
- June 23rd, 2023 - David Demaree successfully defended his M.S. Thesis! Congratulations to David!
- June 1st, 2023 - Joey Brignone joins the UWR lab as a PhD student. He will be funded by NSF to develop novel shape-adaptive attachments for wearable devices.
- May 10th, 2023 - UWRL welcomes Kin Blandford joining the lab as an undergraduate student.
- May 15th, 2023 - Colin Rubow's paper (Title "Spring Locus Desing for Gravity Balanced Mechanisms") was accepted by the International Design Engineering Technical Conference (IDETC)!
- April 20th, 2023 - David Damaree presented his paper at the ISMR conference at Georgia Tech, GA.
- March 4th, 2023 - Ian Bales presented his poster at the DARE conference at USC, CA.
- January 31st, 2023 - Congratulations to David Damaree for his paper (Title "A structurally enhanced neck exoskeleton to assist with head-neck motion") acceptance by the International Symposium on Medical Robotics (ISMR)!
- January 27th, 2023 - An UWR Lab abstract submitted to the 2023 NSF DARE Conference is accepted for a poster presentation. Ian Bales was the lead author. Congratulations to Ian!
- January 26th, 2023 - NSF awarded $425K funding for a new UWR Lab project titled "Adapting to the Human Body: Shape-Adaptive Attachment for Parallel Wearable Robots Using Jamming".
- January 21st, 2023 - Prof. Zhang hosted ME Distinguished seminar speaker Dr. Dan Ferris from Univ. of Florida. Dr. Ferris toured the UWR Lab during his visit.
- January 10th, 2023 - UWR Lab welcomes new undergraduate researchers Logan Lancaster, Tristan Archuleta, and Zach Olson.
We specialize in wearable robotic solutions by leveraging mechanism design and modern computational methods. We strive to understand the sensorimotor system through experiments using wearable robotic platforms. Our laboratory aspires to make a positive impact on daily living of individuals with motor impairments through increased independence and social inclusion.
As part of the University of Utah Robotics Center, our laboratory is affiliated with the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Utah. We dedicate ourselves to creating a welcoming, vibrant, and collaborative research environment. We welcome visitors and interested collaborators from academia and industry, locally, nationally, and globally. In addition to our impactful research, we are committed to promoting fair education, particularly equity, diversity, and inclusion in robotics.